Propaganda: Republican Joe Walsh, running for Congress from Illinois, mocked and denigrated his Democrat opponent, a female Iraqi double-amputee war hero, for her injuries and sacrifice. Republicans are mean-spirited people.
- ALL that Joe Walsh said was “Now I’m running against a woman who, I mean my God, that’s all she talks about.”
- He’s talking about Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary in the Department of Veterans Affairs under the Obama administration
- The statement is substantially true. Tammy Duckworth’s entire campaign is a litany of her injuries and sacrifice. There is precious little in her campaign having to do with issues, how she would represent Illinois, her qualifications, etc. etc.
- Walsh has gone on to say “Of course Tammy Duckworth is a hero. I have called her a hero hundreds of times in the past four months. … However, unlike most veterans I have had the honor to meet since my election to Congress, who rarely if ever talk about their service or the combat they’ve seen, that is darn near all of what Tammy Duckworth talks about. Her service demands our thanks and respect, but not our vote.”
- So, clearly, Joe Walsh has never mocked Tammy Duckworth for her war sacrifice. In fact, he’s acknowledged her heroism on numerous occasions.
And Who is Tammy?
- Duckworth has been an outspoken critic of George W Bush, and the entire Iraq War.
- Duckworth has been an outspoken critic of defense spending.
- Duckworth is an outspoken critic of the Second Amendment, endorsed by the Brady Foundation, and an virulent proponent for a total ban on semi-automatic weapons.
- Duckworth has been a stalwart defender of Obamacare.
- Duckworth calls the principles upon which America was founded, as espoused by the Tea Party, “crackpot ideas”.
Joe Walsh is trying to run a campaign on issues. Tammy Duckworth’s entire platform is to beg sympathy.
But have we come to the point in America where to question the competence, experience, and efficacy to represent the people, in Congress, is out of bounds due to injuries – wherever sustained? Joe Walsh can’t criticize Duckworth’s positions without being tarred and feathered in the media?
Why are we bothering, then, with an election?
This is simply another example of the progressive “sanctity of victimhood”.
Tammy Duckworth cannot run on her qualifications to represent Illinois in Congress. This is all she’s got.
Thank you, Tammy, for your service.
Now, find a different job – you’re not qualified for this one.